Our school day
Start and Finish Times
Educational research and our student experience provide strong support for the approach taken with the structure of the school day.
- Our day commences at 8:45 for lesson 1.
- From 9:30-11:00, lesson 2 and 3 are dedicated to Literacy and Numeracy across the site. This is where our students are most engaged and focused on learning.
- Our Literacy theme continues from 11:20-11:40 when all students take part in our personalised Reading Block.
- From 11:40-1:00 students move through a range of subjects including Science, HASS, Art, Health and Hospitality.
- Our afternoon learning from 1:30-3:00 (2:20 on Tuesdays) consists of cultural activities, excursions and other elective subjects
Based on research, adolescents function better when they consume higher energy foods earlier in the day. Students are provided with three meals a day, breakfast, recess and lunch.
- Breakfast: 8:30-8:50 (20 mins)
- Recess: 11.10am – 11.20am (20 mins)
- Lunch: 12:50pm – 1:20pm (30 mins)
Learning design at Warriappendi School is an intentional, skillful practice that enables students to gain a sense of achievement each session of the day.
Our 90, 50 and 20-minute lessons are crafted by the teaching team that may typically include:
- a welcome activity
- reflection from where they were at the last session
- addressing the current challenges and tasks
- introducing new concepts
- skill development
- application to other contexts
- whole class or cohort delivery
- working with smaller groups of students to differentiate learning
- focused literacy, numeracy or other skill development
- opportunities for collaboration
- individual study
- brain break activities to support student physical and mental wellbeing